Monday, November 15, 2010

Japanese table manner



I would like to introduce Japanese table manner. We also use chopsticks but there are many rules way to eat different from Vietnam. There are three parts. At first, I will tell you how to eat rice. Second, I will tell you how to use chopsticks. Finally, I will tell you my memories in childhood.

Almost of all the Japanese eat rice. However, people which eat only bread or other food not rice are increasing. We empty our dishes to the last grain of rice. “The eyes of us who are careless with rice (or left rice) are crushed”. This tradition means such as the children lose their mind which consider important all things. So, I always eat all a grin of rice. If you can’t eat a lot amount of rice, choice only your portion which you can eat.

     In Japan, there are a number of manner of chopsticks. Sashibashi means that way to eat by sticking my chopsticks into food. The other manner is Watashibashi. This is placing my chopsticks across the rim of dish before finishing a meal so we use a chopstick rest or use fold a chopstick envelop like real. It’s a signal that you finish dishes.

     I was often warned about manner during dinner by my mother when I was child. “You don’t rest you elbows on the table, don’t sit with your knee drawn up, eat having a bowl and don’t eat foods with your mouth open, my mother said to me.” Vietnamese also use chopsticks, don’t you? Therefore Japanese manner may be alike with Vietnamese manner but there are the opposite manners too. When you come to Japan, you would better to search about Japanese manner. You will be able to enjoy a trip to Japan.



7 comments:

  1. Thanx for your useful information about Japanese table manner. Yes, Vietnamese use chopsticks, too. However, I think our table manner is rather different from Japanese one. We use only one pair of chopsticks all the meal, rest elbows on the table. I see one similarity is that it's very impolite to open the mouth when eating. I'm very keen on Japanese culture, for it is very elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your reply!! There are many Japanese table manner. I also think Japanese manner is beautiful. Don't you think vietnamin manner is elegant?
    My mother says right things to me but it was difficult for me. What things do you were warned from your mother in young days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truthfully, Vietnamese table manner is very simple, and there are few rules that must follow. There is a custom that I rarely follow now. Before eating, the young always says a statement to invite the old to enjoy the meal. As a small girl, it was very interesting. However, it also made me "pain in mouth" if my big family gathered on holidays because I had to invite all people who were older than me :(( Now, I rarely do this custom, but I have to it when having a meal with strangers to show my politeness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Do you must say your statement one by one? It's important politeness. We always say 'Itadakimasu' before eating and 'Gochisousama' after eating. It's also alike!
    How many people gather in your house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course, one by one because of their age and position in the family. Moreover, if the young finishes the meal earlier, they must say smt like "Enjoy your meal, and I ask for finishing first, please". Normally, each Vietnamese family has 3-5 people, and my family is, too. There are always 3 people gathering in our meal. My parents is very open to this custom, so I rarely do it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment! I refer to the information. You become an opportunity to talk to family, doesn't you?. In my house, we eat dinner by oneself due to working, part time job, school. Do you cook dinner in your house? I sometimes do!:D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I always cook dinner at home. Sometimes I go out for dinner with my friends. Cooking meals at home can save my pocket a lot, and I like it. Moreover, I myself enjoy cooking so much, especially when I'm alone. My favorite dish is fried rice with eggs. How abt u, Chima?

    ReplyDelete