Monday, November 15, 2010

Osechi





Osechi is a Japanese traditional food. It is eaten on New Year Day. This tradition started in Heian Period. Foods are packed into jubako, like lunch boxes. Eating Osechi has a meaning to celebrate the New Year Day.
The dishes that make up osechi have a special meaning to celebrate the New Year Day, for example, Daidai, Japanese bitter orange. Daidai means “from generation to generation” when written in another kanji. Konbu, a kind of seaweed, it is associated with the word “yorokobu” meaning joy.
This custom of celebrating the New Year Day was produced from China long years ago, but recently, there are not so many people who make Osechi. Many people buy Osechi at super market, even at convenience store. Although many of young people do not make Osechi at house, my grandmother and I make Osechi every year because I think homemade is the best.
Japanese people have been celebrating the New Year Day with eating Osechi. Then, how about your country? Do you celebrate with some special foods?

4 comments:

  1. When reading your introduction about "Osechi", I am getting more interested in it. Of course, Vietnam people have traditional food on New Year's Day. A table often has rice cake, a noodle bow, boiled chicken, pig-bone soup and "xôi" - which is like rice. I'm not sure of this, so I'll tell you later soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I am Maria.
    Thank you for writing comment to my article. I want to know more about Vietnamese traditional New years day food, especially "xoi". By hte way, I will go to Vietnamese restaurant with my university friends this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, I have just posted some information about food. You can see it in the article related "questions about food"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank for posting information about food. I became more interested in Vietnamese food.

    ReplyDelete